Forgivable grants up to $15,000 are available to help make homes in the New River Valley accessible or more energy efficient
Improvement Types & Conditions:
- Home accessibility modification grants can be used for: an exterior ramp, sidewalk or driveway; handicapped bathrooms, including sink, toilet, shower, grab bars and vanities; kitchen cabinets and sink; carpentry to widen doors; and replacement of floor coverings.
- Energy efficiency and weatherization grants can be used for: heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems, exterior doors, insulation, water heaters, roof, windows, low-flow plumbing, floors, and walls.
- Grants up to $12,000 or $15,000 if a veteran. Processing fees of about $1,500 are deducted so the actual amount is approximately $10,500 – $13,500. The two types of grants cannot be combined.
- 100% of the funds are forgiven after five years. Each month during the five years 1/60th of the grant is forgiven. If the homeowner moves before the end of the five years, then the unforgiven portion of the grant must be repaid.
- Eligible properties include: owner-occupied 1-4 family properties, townhouses, condos, cooperatives, manufactured housing, mobile homes (if converted to real property).
- Homeowner must occupy the home as principal residence. Must have full interest in the fee title or at least one year current ownership by life estate.
- Household must have an income below 80% of the area median income adjusted for family size and locality (see Table below).
- The New River Valley HOME Consortium is the intermediary for the funds in the New River Valley. The funds originate from the Federal Home Loan Bank in Atlanta and Freedom First Credit Union.
- The NRV HOME Consortium uses pre-approved Class A licensed and insured contractors that are either Certified Aging in Place Specialists through the National Association of Home Builders or certified through the Building Performance Institute and approved as a weatherization contractor by the State of Virginia.
- For an application please contact Elisabeth Willis at email@example.com (540-558-0798) or firstname.lastname@example.org (540-639-9313).