- THE VT ENVIRONMENTAL COALITION – http://theecvt.com – See this website for current contact information.
- ARTICLE – A Building Not Just Green, but Practically Self-Sustaining – by Bryn Nelson in New York Times, 02 Apr 13. A six-story office building with amazing design.
- ARTICLE – Methane Production From Grocer’s Food Wastes – by Tiffany Hsu, in Roanoke Times, Business Section (The Ticker), Page 5, Sunday, 09 June 2013. Kroger Company is experimenting with anaerobic microbial digestion of non-edible food wastes to generate natural gas for electricity production.
- ARTICLE – Wind Energy (Cover Story) – by Michael Miller, in Valley Business Front, Issue 55, Pages 8-19, April 2013. (“An excellent article about wind energy in Virginia.” – David Roper) Note especially the comments about Blacksburg, Floyd, in Southwest Virginia.
- WEBSITE – Save A Ton website – Ways you can save energy, water, and other resources, and also save a ton of carbon dioxide from being generated by the burning of fossil fuels.
- WEBSITE – Community Alliance For Energy Efficiency (CAFE2) – A Christiansburg based organization that is very active in the NRV and has a very informative Facebook page.
- WEBSITE – Energy Star is a joint program of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Energy helping us all save money and protect the environment through energy-efficient products and practices. Americans, with the help of the Energy-Star program, saved enough energy in 2010 alone to avoid greenhouse gas emissions equivalent to those from 33 million cars — all while saving nearly $18 billion on their utility bills.
- WEBSITE – Balloons As Liter–A ProblemWe Can Solve – This offering is part of the Clean Virginia Waterways website.
- WEBSITE – Blacksburg Residential Curbside Guidelines
- WEBSITE – Montgomery Regional Solid Waste Authority (MRSWA)
- WEBSITE – Why Use Reusable Shopping Bags
- ARTICLE – Lithium-manganese Batteries in EVs Much Safer Than Dreamliner Chemistry, by Melissa Pistill in Resource Investing News, 04 Feb 13. Contains a good discussion about the good and bad attributes of different types of Lithium Ion batteries used in vehicles.
- ARTICLE – Why Electric Cars Are Awesome, by Charis Michelsen posted at the CleanTechnica website on 10 Jan 2012
- ARTICLE – Tennessee to install 10,950 level-2/240-volts and 260 level-3/480-volts charging stations. An article in the Tennessee Clean Fuels Advisor, Winter-Spring, 2010.
- ARTICLE – 3 Homemade Natural Cleaning Products: lemons, vinegar, and baking soda, by Sarah Aguirre on About.com Guide.
FOOD & GARDENING:
- WEBSITE – Blacksburg Farmer’s Market
- ARTICLE – “Get Out And Buy Local! Winter Farmers Markets Are Thriving”, by Charles Michelsen posted at the cleantechnica website on 10 Jan 2012.
- WEBSITE – Information About Rainscaping – ways to capture and reuse rainwater.
- DVD – “Last Call At The Oasis“ 2011 PG-13 105 minutes. This documentary sheds light on the vital role water plays in our lives, exposes the defects in the current system, shows communities already struggling with its ill effects and introduces us to individuals who are championing revolutionary solutions, such as activist Erin Brockovich and distinguished experts Peter Gleick, Alex Prud’homme, Jay Famiglietti and Robert Glennon.
- ARTICLE – “Why You Should Drink… Water”, by Kristina Chew posted at the care2 website on 09 Jan 2012.
- DVD – “Flow” by Irena Selina. An excellent film about human’s right to clean drinking water and the world’s water crisis.
- ARTICLE – “A Single American Can Use as Much Water in a Day as 900 Kenyans,” by Danielle Nierenberg, Earth Island Journal, 24 March 2013.
- BOOK – “Bringing Nature Home: How You Can Sustain Wildlife with Native Plants”, by Douglas W. Tallamy.